Benefits of low cost farming and how it improves life style of farmers
1. Farmers can use of organic seed and organic fertilizer.
2. Use of home-made insecticides and pesticides.
3. To develop various means of irrigation, so that more land could be brought under agriculture.
4. To increase the availability of chemical fertilizers at subsidised rates, either through production or through imports.
5. To develop and produce new hybrid varieties of seeds, which will help in increasing the yield of various crops.
6. The government would fix a minimum purchase price for various crops every year.
7. To provide adequate and timely loans to farmers, on easy terms, to buy farm machinery and other agricultural items.
8. To help protect standing crops from pests, diseases and natural hazards, such as floods, droughts and cyclones.
9. To educate and help farmers through specially developed programmes on radio and television.
10. To set up demonstration farms, so that the farmers can learn and adopt new, suitable and latest farming techniques.
11. The government should provide adequate diesel, electricity and water at highly subsidised rates.
12. Encourage the farmers to adopt mixed farming and work in cottage industries in their free time.
Poonam Singh, M.Sc.(Bio-Chemistry), Content writer, Self Shiksha, Lcoatips, Candidviews, Quikpills and Former Research Director at NEEW